Top Ten Wanted Canadian Municipal Open Data Datasets
PlaceSpeak was honoured to provide OpenDataBC with input into the development of this list and is excited to see that ‘place-based’ data sets like rezoning permit application and land use changes feature so prominently. We invite all local governments in Canada to review the items on this list and if they are not already making this data available, then consider doing so to unlock the value that is held in these datasets.
Canadian Open Data Community Top Ten Wanted Municipal Datasets – May 2014
- Rezoning permit applications
- Land use changes
- Financial data (revenue, expenses, liabilities, equity, etc..)
- Locations of things (fire hydrants, drinking water fountains, public toilets, bike parking, …)
- Transit data
- Development permit applications
- Crime information
- Road construction (511 data)
- Political financing
- Real time traffic flow data and daily road usage patterns
In November 2013 OpenDataBC set out to create a Top 10 Municipal datasets list. Shortly thereafter the discussion moved to the CivicAccesslist where an online discussion took place over several months to come up with a list of the most desired municipal datasets in Canada.