North Cowichan’s University Village Local Area Plan Close to Being Finalized
Since the adoption of a new Official Community Plan (OCP) in July 2011, the Municipality of North Cowichan has been exploring options for future growth and development in the area as a means to flesh out strategic policies outlined in the Plan.
The University Village area is one of three growth centres identified in the OCP and has been a top priority for the Municipality. In late February, the Committee of the Whole reviewed the initial draft of the University Village Local Area Plan and made several recommendations. These suggestions were then passed on to Council for further review and discussion.
After Council’s meeting in early March, several resolutions were carried. These include:
- That Council direct staff to revise the draft University Village Local Area Plan in accordance with the February 2015 Land Use Option sketch plan, presented at the February 24, 2015, Committee of the Whole meeting.
- That Council direct staff to change the designation of the parking lot at the corner of Lakes Road and Beverly Street, in the draft plan from “residential”, to “institutional / community facilities.”
- That Council direct staff to prepare the necessary bylaws to adopt the local area plan and change the urban containment boundary in the Official Community Plan accordingly.
- That Council consider Councillor Marsh’s related notice of motion regarding the Cowichan Green Community’s incubator farm proposal.
- That Council direct staff to prepare a report on the possibility of entering into a license of occupation with Cowichan Green Community (and Vancouver Island University, if applicable) for an incubator farm on the Municipality’s triangular lot on Beverly Street (immediately east of Alexander Elementary School and south of the dike).
The draft Local Area Plan is currently being revised to reflect Municipality of Cowichan Council’s direction. Once these revisions have been made staff will present the revised draft Plan for Council to consider granting 1st reading of the Local Area Plan bylaw. Following Council granting 1st reading of the bylaw an open house will be held.
The City of Duncan Council also reviewed the plan in June and July 2014, and will also consider adoption once the revisions are complete.
Further details will be released as they become available. Please stay tuned!
Municipality of North Cowichan information:
By Email: [email protected]
By Mail: 7030 Trans-Canada Highway, PO Box 278, Duncan BC, V9L 3X4
In Person: Administration Department – 7030 Trans-Canada Highway, Duncan, BC
By Fax: 250-746-3133
City of Duncan Contact information:
By Email: [email protected]
By Mail: 200 Craig Street, Duncan, BC, V9L 1W3
In Person: Planning Department – 200 Craig Street, Duncan
By Fax: 250-746-6129
Leave a Comment